Tuesday 7 May 2013

Money matters for degree decisions, by Sian Elvin

Another blog by a guest contributor.


Money matters for degree decisions

When the rise in tuition fees made the prospect of university all the more scary, it suddenly dawned on me that the decision of what degree to take was particularly important, with my investment of a mere £27,000 for three years of education. I’m one of those irritating people who has always known what I’ve wanted to do with my life as well – become a journalist – so for me, the massive decision was between passion or vocation.

A journalism course seemed the natural direction for me to take. However, I was put off by the lack of academic dimension. English had always been the one subject I enjoyed no matter what; I knew it would put me in good stead for a variety of future careers, particularly as the course was offered by all the top universities in the country. Yet the high financial investment, along with the high level of competition for a career in the media industry, made me wonder whether I should follow a direct path into journalism instead.

In the end it was my work experience placements that finally helped me make up my mind. Three editors told me they would rather employ a graduate of English rather than a graduate of Journalism, because apparently the former can ‘actually write’!

So here I am, studying English Literature at the University of Warwick, and getting involved with as much student media on the side as possible. And I can say that I certainly don’t regret my decision yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment